Monday, December 5, 2011

Oklahoma Still Shaking

I have wrote about in past blogs about the earthquakes in Oklahoma. Last week I spotted an article about their recent earthquakes. In November 23 earthquakes were recorded. I blogged about the one at a magnitude of 5.6 that caused lots of damage and had an unusually high magnitude. People say the recent tremors have been slight, only able to shake a water glass but not strong enough to knock anything to the floor. Apparently the quakes can be traced back to 2 years prior. Once again a possible cause could be the process of extracting oil from the ground.

I find this to be really interesting. Oklahoma is in the middle of the North American Tectonic plate. There are fault lines but it is not an area where plates are rubbing together, which is where you would expect multiple earthquakes. As I have stated before when you think Oklahoma you think tornadoes. I know that the oil extracting process is a thought cause of the quakes. It will be interesting to find out if it really is or not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/us/oklahoma-continues-string-of-recent-mild-earthquakes.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment