Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Deadly Pa Flood

On August 20th a flash flood hit Pittsburgh. Storms pounded PA with 3-4 inches of rain and when heavy rain hits the Washington Blvd rain gets pushed in from 3 different directions. The area was said to be the perfect spot for flooding, once even being home to a creek bed.
There were reported 4 deaths from this particular flood. Three people were trapped up against a tree in there car. I found this article to be interesting today because they mention that the Federal Emergency Management Agency is educating people about the dangers of being in your car during a flash flood. This reminded me of the simulation we did today in our first lab assignment. I chose for the game the hazard flood and the situation was completely different.
I'd like to mention the slogan of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, "Turn around, don't drown." I also found this interesting because when people evacuate for a flash flood the quickest way to get out is to drive, (I suppose at least) but in the article they despise driving and advise clinging to a tree and getting to higher ground.


http://www.usatoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment